How to Order Stone: Before You Begin
First a quick note on timing, you should be finalizing your natural stone details about when you order your new cabinets. This should put you in a good position (schedule wise) once your cabinets are installed. While orders for countertops may be placed before or after this point, the overall timing can be affected. If the order is placed too early, the customer may have forgotten exactly what the material they selected looks like or may make changes to the spec that are not properly communicated resulting in complications at either template or install. On the other hand, the later the tops are ordered (after cabinets are ordered or even after they arrive), the more of a time crunch the project is in for countertops and the tighter it is to schedule to everyone's satisfaction and availability. Also please note this is a general guideline as lead time for cabinets will vary from manufacture to manufacture. In the end each project will have it's own flow (including but not limited to countertops) based on many other factors.
- Research natural stone countertops, their use & care, and decide if natural stone is for you. In some cases engineered stone may be a better fit for your project. If so we can still work with you and have samples in our showroom of various engineered stones including Cambria®, Caesar Stone®, and Zodiac®. Please contact us for more info on engineered stone countertops
- Select a material - Material selection can impact the overall cost of a project. While all of our stock materials are priced the same, materials selected from a local wholesaler will generally cost more and will vary in price. Please note that most of the material we stock is 3cm while that available from a supplier may be 2cm or 3cm. This will affect your overall project. While the cost of 2cm material is lower, additional material (plywood sub-tops, additional stone for build up strips and bar/sitting area overhangs) and labor costs are added as is additional time to fabricate your countertops. 3cm material on the other hand, while being more expensive for the material (as compared to the same material in 2cm), tends to offer a better finished product at the same or even a lower final cost.
- Select an edge - we offer 9 standard edges and 4 upgrade edges (slight increase in price). However, if you don't see something you like we can do a custom edge (at an additional cost)
- Select a sink (as well as faucets & accessories - i.e. soap dispenser, air switch, etc) - you will need to have your sink & faucet (and any additional items that require holes) on-site and available at time of template. Even if you already have a sink you may find it informative to read about sink cutouts and base cabinets so as to prevent surprises at time of templating.
- Select other appliances (stove or cooktop/wall ovens, downdraft, etc) - cooktop (and downdraft if applicable) or stove needs to be present at time of templating for proper and accurate templates.
- Decide on a backsplash (4", 6", full slab, tile, other material (ie stainless steel, wood, etc) or none) - knowing this before hand will enable a more accurate quote as well as a better material usage estimation
- If this is a remodel using existing cabinets, removal of the existing countertops is the responsibility of the home owner. Percoco can quote this service to your as part of your countertop quote upon request
- 3cm stone does not require sub-tops while 2cm generally will. We include sub-tops in our quote if necessary (and it will be so stated in the quote) or in the rare occasion that they are necessary but not included it will be indicated in the quote, by phone, or in person. If having sub-tops provided and installed by a third party, please contact Percoco Marble first regarding any requirements (for sub-tops) we may have for the given job site.